Weeks 9 & 10, 7/17-7/20,7/23 - 7/26

 

The view from Saddle Peak

I had yet to see Ranger Cooper conduct a traffic stop, until Monday. She was driving me back to my dorm, and we stopped at a 4-way intersection with stop signs all-way. At the same time a motorcycle failed to come to a complete stop at the stop sign and continued down the road. Ranger Cooper turned to follow the motorcycle and close the distance. She pulled the motorcycle over and approached the biker. He surrendered his license when she asked for it and waited while she ran him. Ultimately, Ranger Cooper decided to give the biker a verbal warning. While we were driving back home Ranger Cooper was telling me that she loved conducting traffic stops and was glad I got to observe her conduct one.

I didn’t think I would ever go to court until I became a Ranger, however, I had the opportunity to attend a Zoom court hearing and witness initial appearances. Ranger Cooper and I were originally attending because “Mary” from week 2 was supposed to have her appearance, however there was a mix-up in communication between her and her attorney, so “Mary’s” case got continued to mid-August. Still, Ranger Cooper stayed on the call so I could see what court was like.

There were 2 other appearances that took place. The first was a man who was being charged with and plead guilty to introducing heroin into a VA (veteran’s affairs) building. The judge sentenced him to 10 days in incarceration and ordered him to pay a $30 processing fee. The second man was being charged with and plead guilty to inappropriately conceal-carrying a registered glock-19 in Angeles National Forest, he was carrying it in his pocket. The judge ordered him to forfeit his firearm and pay a $30 processing fee.

On Thursday, I got to ride with Ranger Preece. The first place he took me was Saddle Peak, an area I didn’t even know existed. It was so beautiful, you can see the ocean, most of the park, and the skylines of the cities of Los Angeles and Santa Monica. I wished we could have stayed up there longer but we had other locations to patrol.

Ranger Preece also showed me where the Palo Comado Canyons (the area next to Cheeseboro) connected to Lang Ranch, which is not NPS property but we still patrol there sometimes. At the top of the canyons, he pointed out a town called Simi Valley. Once again, I was in awe of the view. I had been to Lang Ranch the day I did the pitfall trapping with Sienna and Lorelai but I didn’t get to see the more scenic parts of it until Ranger Preece showed me.

view from Lang Ranch


Right before patrol ended Ranger Preece took me through Zuma Ridge, an 8-mile multi-use trail that runs between the Zuma and Trancas Canyons. Driving along Zuma Ridge I could see the ocean and a large section of Malibu.

Zuma Ridge with the Pacific Ocean in the background


On Wednesday, Ranger Cooper and Ranger McCauley from Channel Islands National Park worked together to lead a taser refresher for the other Rangers. Axon, the company that makes the tasers, provided them with a power point presentation that they modified to make it relevant to SAMO and CHIS. The presentation contained things like policies regarding taser use, the mechanics of the taser, and the physiological effects a taser can have on a person. At the end of the presentation Ranger Cooper passed out a written test that I took as well, and I scored higher than I thought I would. Once the test was over, we all went out to the fire barn, to shoot practice cartridges at a target. I thought firing tasers would be difficult because you have to aim two probes, but Ranger Cooper explained that it's still easier than firing a gun because a taser has LASERs to show you where each probe will hit when you pull the trigger and there is no recoil. It was so fascinating to watch the Rangers discharge their tasers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3, 6/5/23 - 6/9/23

Week 6 & 7, 6/28 - 7/1, 7/2 - 7/6

Week 5, 6/19 - 6/24